top of page

Church History
All Saints and St. Andrew's is one church with two buildings.

ALL SAINTS CHURCH

All Saints Church is situated between Huntington and New Earswick villages, in a conservation area, accessed via a single-track local authority road. It's location next to the river Foss is enjoyed by many school children and walkers with a public footpath through the churchyard. The picturesque church with a Saxon Chancel has been on this site for over 900 years and is a grade two listed building. The location and its long and interesting history make it very attractive for weddings, funerals and baptisms.

 

The spire, added in the 1870s, houses a peal of eight bells regularly manned by an enthusiastic and experienced team of bell ringers. In 1993 a small side extension was built creating a meeting room, office, kitchen and toilet facility. Internal changes took place in 2005/6 to create a narthex at the back of the church which can be used as a creche. A glazed screen and sound system allow users to participate in the service. This area is to encourage the development of children’s and young people’s ministry.

The long and varied history has given All Saints many interesting features such as a seventeenth century oak pulpit and a Jacobean altar table dating from 1634 which is located under a beautiful stained-glass window.  You can read a detailed description here.

 

The organ, regularly played in services, is a good example of a two manual pedal made by Forster and Andrews. An electronic keyboard is also available and monitor screens display the service material. Quinquennial inspections are carried out.

 

The upkeep of both All Saints and St Andrew's is under the control of church wardens supported by the building and fabric team to keep the buildings and grounds in good order. A team of volunteers also have a number of skills and use the diocesan faculty system as required.

 

ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH

St. Andrew's is located between the villages of Huntington and New Earswick next to a main road and within a short walk of four schools all situated within the parish. The church, built in 1914, started as an outreach from All Saints. 1938 saw the building of the main worship area on a difficult sloping site and not on the traditional east-west axis. St. Andrew's location and grounds have many advantages, namely it is not a listed building and has no consecrated grounds. The 1938 building was never finished, and the north aisle arches were bricked up using common brickwork. We have been blessed by having ‘one church’ with two buildings and by having a collective team approach to carry out our services, look after our buildings and respond to the needs of our parish.

 

In 2015 improvements to the building commenced to allow it to support different activities; a dedicated church office and reception was built and is manned regularly. A mezzanine floor with an oak staircase and balustrade was built to create an office and meeting space for youth leaders and staff meetings. Existing windows were made larger including roof lights providing much more daylight. The 1960’s flat roof hall area allowed for the construction of a commercial kitchen, improved toilets and entrances from the public footpath and rear car park. Modern double glazing and insulation has been installed where possible and the existing car park has been improved allowing for easier parking access. The lawn area is ideal for outside activities including access to a nearby woodland area. Overgrown hedging was removed from the front of the building providing a greater elevation to the passing public. Church land is leased to the Scout organisation with access to the car park and grassed area.

You can read further details here, and another booklet written by Jack Abbott in 1985.

IMG_3873.jpeg
IMG_3871.jpeg

ST. ANDREW'S EXTENSION

St. Andrew’s Church was originally built in 1914 as an outreach project from All Saints. The building was extended to create a large nave in 1937 but the north elevation was never built, and the nave arches were bricked up.

 

In 2019 the Local Authority and the Diocese granted planning permission to build the north elevation. Following the covid pandemic over a period of two years fundraising and grants have allowed us to build this extension. This self-build has been progressed by using volunteers and some paid tradesmen. Our church is used by many groups and this extra space will allow us to carry on outreach to the community without having to rearrange furniture for each group.

 

Included in the new space will be a small refreshment kitchen, a new vestry store and office with up-to-date heating and good insulation. Several large windows will allow more light into the building. The land next to the church will be landscaped with planting, trees, habitat hedging and bird boxes. Two wildlife ponds and walking areas will also be created. This work is scheduled to be finished by July this year.

bottom of page